Last week I gave Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes. Super simple, affordable, fast and DELICIOUS! These would be the perfect addition to a picnic, office food day, or for a tasting party with friends!
Note: This recipe is enough for 24 cakes, so two pans worth. If you own two pans, you can bake them simultaneously at the same time and temp as you would just one. I highly recommend two!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 24 marischino cherries
- 20 oz can pineapple rings in juice
- 3 eggs
- Yellow cake mix (18.25 oz size)
- 1/3 cup oil
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Drain liquid from pineapple rings into 2-cup Easy Read Measuring Cup. (I did this by resting my Easy Read Measuring Colander inside the measuring cup. Pour everything in, lift, and drain!). Add enough water to the pineapple juice to make 1 1/3 cup liquid. Set aside. Cut pineapple rings into quarters.
3. In Small Batter Bowl, melt butter. Mix in brown sugar. Using the Small Scoop, portion a scant scoop of sugar mixture into each well of two brownie pans. Spread to cover the bottom of wells.
5. Combine cake mix, pineapple liquid, eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl. (My all-time favorite is here). Whisk until well blended. Using Large Scoop, portion the batter into wells of Brownie Pan, filling each 2/3 full.
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until cake tester inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 3 minutes, then invert onto parchment-lined cooling rack (the parchment is WELL worth it for any baking, but especially for this recipe. I highly, highly recommend it). Serve warm with whipped topping, if preferred!
NOTE: This recipe can be halved if you have only one brownie pan or only want 12 cakes. Use a small cake mix (such as Jiffy brand) or measure out 1 2/3 cups of the yellow cake mix and use 2 eggs, 2/3 cup of pineapple liquid, plus 2 Tbsp oil. Use half of the butter, sugar, pineapple and cherries.